Home

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

In the Luxembourg Garden

Ophüls is a name he made up and one of the most beautiful words in the French language. I'm home watching his film Rondel. There is never any pretense of reality in his films. That is my philosophy. Films should either be 100% "real" or 100% fantasy. An early scene has a carousel that reminds me of Rilke's poem:

In the Luxembourg Garden I see a carousel and its shadow turning,
On board the children are riding,
A zebra and a giraffe.
Some kind of elk.
A little boy has his arms round the head of a burning lion that bears its teeth,
a girl rides a horse that has been frightened.

Translation by Digdug

1 comment:

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Last night I finally watched the DVD of a 1970s Anthony Perkins film which in French is "How Ophüls About Allan".